Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Monster's, Inc Birthday Party!


  We went all out for our Little Guy's 3rd birthday! Monsters, Inc was always his favorite movie and with Monsters University just coming out people were really excited about the theme.


*Cake*
We made these two cakes for the party and they turned out awesome! We are not very skilled in cake making so I was impressed when my husband was able to make my idea come to life. He did have a nice hand cramp after the "Sully" cake but people were really impressed with how great they looked. We used a Grass Tip to make the fur and the dark for "Mike's" eye are just M&M's. I got the inspiration for the cake from the Beth Kruse Custom Creations blog post she did on her Monsters, Inc party. I loved her entire party! As you will see I used a lot of her ideas to help our party come together.



*Food*  

"Mike's Eye Grapes"



 "Monster Watermelon"




"Smores Doors"



We found some Mike Juicy Juice apple juice boxes



On the table we also had "Sully's Sprinkled Popcorn" (which I didn't get a picture of!!) and we attempted to make "Mike Rice Krispy Treats" from the recipe that they put on the back of the Rice Krispy boxes but they didn't turn out as well as we hoped! Also, you will see the big bowl of Pringles because we used the cans for parting favors and there was no way my little family was going to eat 8 cans of chips before the party!



*Decor*

The colors for Monsters, Inc are great and look awesome for decor. We did lime green, purple and blue streamers all over the house (why can't I find a picture?!!). Take my word for it they looked really cool. We also added balloons of all those colors and the kids loved them and could have played with them for hours. They are a great distraction for the kids while the guests are still arriving. 


 So I got a little creative with our stairs. We really wanted to keep the kids downstairs so that we didn't have to clean upstairs keep going upstairs to look for them. Also, I had a little one who slept through some of the party so she was able to have a little quiet away from the guests. I didn't want the blockade to be just a plain gate so we decorated it with caution tape and a plastic tablecloth with the CDA letters on it to keep the kids away. CDA= Child Detection Agency


  
We also decorated a closet door we have downstairs as "Boo's Door" just for fun.  The top even had the red dot announcing that the door was active! 


 *Activity*

So to get the kids into the spirit of Monsters, Inc I came up with a little game. I wanted something to keep them all engaged and since most of them were under 3 years old I sort of modified a treasure hunt along with some quick monsters, inc boot camp.

 First I had them put on their Monster, Inc work hats and get ready for scare training! I played the portion of the movie, towards the beginning, where Mike wakes up Sully to have him do his exercises for the day. We watched it once so they could prepare and then I asked them to do the exercises too.

 
 We then played it two or three more times while they did it along with Sully. So they did "scary feet, scary feet" (running in place), bunk bed scares (roaring up and then down), they even did brushing their teeth and all the other fun things Sully does. It was super cute to see them all doing the actions with Sully and some of them really got into it.




After they completed their warm ups and practiced their "scares" I told them they needed to fill up their own scream cans just like Mike and Sully do when they are working. So I gave them each a "Scare Card" which had the faces of Disney kids on them.


They were to find each of the kids around the house (I posted them on the walls at their height in each of the party areas) and they were supposed to do their best scares! Once they scared all the kids they would have filled their scream cans up and could take them home.

 
 The house was filled with roars and it was so much fun. My little guy really got into it and scared all the faces on his card to earn his scream canister. 


 The scream canisters were full of all sorts of goodies for the kids to take home.

I got the monster bubbles and the monster pops from Oriental Trading, then picked up stickers, band aids, fruit snacks and mini note pads all Monsters University themed and fit them into the canisters. The kids got to take home their canisters and their work hats.

 When the party was over "Boo" was tired and there was still cake to be eaten. My son had a great time and he still talks about how great his birthday was. Can't wait to plan his next birthday! First I get to plan one for that sweet little girl's First!!

 

There were so many great ideas for a Monsters, Inc or Monsters University party that I didn't have the chance to use. Here is a link to the Pinterest board I used to gather up all the ideas for the party and have even added more as I have seen ideas:
 http://www.pinterest.com/katelyng/logans-monsters-inc-party/
If you like Monsters, Inc you might also want to follow my #DisneySide pinterest board where I post all things Disney for future parties! 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an amazing birthday party! That cake is wonderful dear. My sister’s birthday is about to come and I want to throw a grand party for her. It would be very helpful if you can share some local party venues in NYC!

    ReplyDelete